After by Amy Efaw

This book has a great cover, I'll admit this pulled my hand over. A young woman leans against a mirrored wall, in the reflection she is pregnant, in the "reality" she is not. (Expensive, the cover uses metallic and spot varnish too!) From the second paragraph the story had me hooked. The third person narrative reads like first person. Intense, gripping...tragic. A teen in self-denial is pregnant and does something terrible to her unwanted baby. How can I feel anything for such a protagonist? And yet I do. I wanted her to have a second chance.

Although the book is carefully researched the effect is effortless since Efaw uses only what fits the scope of the narrative. My only quibbles, some secondary characters seem to drift away and the main character, Devon, makes leaps of understanding rather too quickly as the last chapter looms. But even so, I couldn't put the book down. Highly recommended.

Viking  /  350 pgs

0 comments:

Post a Comment